On the 1st of August, 2021 the Department of Basic Education has given the green light for school sport to resume. This is good news for the U18 Craven Week which will be taking place from 4-8 October, 2021.
In the directions which were gazetted school sport can resume under the following conditions:
(1) Subject to sub-directions (5) and (6), and in compliance with social distancing, hygiene, and safety measures on COVID-19, as contemplated in these directions, the DBE Standard Operating Procedures and the Regulations, contact sport, non-contact sport, including training, intra-school and inter-school matches, and all arts and culture intra-school and inter-school activities, may resume without any spectators.
(2) Co-curricular and enrichment programmes, such as oral history, spelling bee, moot court, speech contests, debates and school clubs, may resume activities including competitive inter-school events and engagements, without any spectators.
(3) Choir practice or rehearsals and choir competitions may resume in well ventilated areas or outdoors with all participants maintaining social distancing, without any spectators.
(4) National, provincial, district championships and tournaments for both contact and non-contact sport that require learners to travel to other schools or provinces may resume with strict adherence to prescribed transport regulations and directions.
(5) The following safety measures must be adhered to when resuming the activities contemplated in this direction:
(a) The number of persons in venues where the activities take place, change rooms or training areas, at any given time, must not be more than 50% of the capacity of the venue with persons observing the social distancing requirements;
(b) for outdoor activities, the total number of persons, including participants, officials and other personnel must not exceed 100 and for indoor activities the number of persons must not exceed 50.
(c) face masks must be worn by all persons entering the venues where the activities take place, change rooms or training areas, except when participating in training or matches;
(d) there must be sufficient quantities of hand sanitizers, with at least 70% alcohol content, available for use by all officials, coaches, assistants, learners and participants;
(e) there must be facilities for washing of hands with soap and water;
(f) all windows and doors must remain open, where feasible, to ensure adequate ventilation;
(g) social distancing must be maintained at all times; and
(h) the sharing of drinks and drink containers is not allowed.
(6) The school or venue hosting the events or activities must ensure that venues, tools and equipment are cleaned and sanitized before and after any activities.”.