Fri11242017

Last updateTue, 06 Dec 2016 8am

   Join our newsletter here:      

BSN medical Leuko3272A78

Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Eastern Cape RUGBY: The History of Dale College & Team 2013
Wednesday, 10 April 2013 09:42

RUGBY: The History of Dale College & Team 2013

Dale College is located in King William’s Town in the Eastern Cape. The school was established in 1861, when it was known as the Public Undenominational School for Boys.

 Dale l In 1877 a new school building was opened and the school took on the name “Dale College” after the then-Superintendent- General of Education in the Cape Colony, Sir Langham Dale.

 The school also adopted the Dale family crest as its emblem – the famous red heron. Dale celebrated its sesquicentenary in 2011.

 

Rugby was first played at Dale in 1880, but at that time the sport was not as popular as soccer. In 1891 and 1892, Dale played its first rugby matches against Queen’s College and Selborne College respectively. Both those matches were won by Dale.

 

Rugby was eventually firmly established at the school in 1911 and the famous red and black colours were adopted and have been worn ever since. Numerous Old Dalians have played Springbok rugby over the years. The most recent Old Dalians to don the Green and Gold include Bjorn Basson, Keegan Daniel and Bandise Maku.

 

DALE COLLEGE 1st XV 2013

 

1. Z Ngqongqwaqna

2. S George

3. K Mokhaobone

4. L Njokwe

5. P Zita

6. A Tsengiwe (captain)

7. Q Mvimbi

8. M Nchukana

9. S Ncokovane

10. S Mgubo

11. B Mvolontshi

12. S Maxwane

13. A Nompandana

14. L Mudzvova

15. A Mavuso

16. M Mtongana

17. S Mtotywa

18. S Makhwenkwe

19. B Ponono

20. L Mase

21. B Skenjana

22. L Kenene

 

Coach: S Turner

Assistant Coach: L Smith

Manager: N Wiggett

Related items