SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Eastern Cape Rugby: Match Report- Queen's College v Cambridge
Monday, 12 August 2013 14:55

Rugby: Match Report- Queen's College v Cambridge

Queen’s College hosted Cambridge High School on Thursday for their annual derby match.


The early stages of the match belonged to Cambridge as they applied much pressure on Queen’s but the home team were able to keep them out with some fine defensive play. In the 7th minute of play the Queen’s pack set up an excellent mall from which the Queen’s 8th man Alan Rautenbach broke to give Lona Ntsila the scoring pass to register the first points of the match. Dale de Wet converted for Queen’s.

Cambridge bounced right back with well structured attack and the Cambridge left wing Xolisa Mato, who had a good game, rounded off the movement in the left corner. The conversion was missed, to leave the score at 7-5 to Queen’s after 12 minutes of play.

Queen’s were down to 14 men when prop, Sean Nkomo, was given his marching orders after an infringement at the breakdown. Cambridge used this one man advantage to good effect and a fine break down the short side resulted in Cambridge lock, Kweku Borsah, going over for Cambridge’s 2nd try in the 19th minute. 10-7 it stood with the conversion being missed. Queen’s were next to score when brilliant work was done by Kewan Gibb, catching his opposite number with the ball at the back of the scrum. Gibb gathered and made an excellent run down the middle of the field before off-loading to the outside center, Lilitha Jonas, to finish with a try. The conversion was good which left the score at 14-10 in favour of the home team. Cambridge replied soon after that with a converted try of their own and again took the lead 17-14. Just before half time, an excellent backline move saw Lilitha Jonas carve through the Cambridge backline to go over for his 2nd try of the match, converted by de Wet, which meant Queen’s went into the break leading 21-17.

The half-time talk from the Queen’s coaches seemed to work, as the Queen’s team came out with guns blazing and shortly after the break fullback Siphu Zaula strolled over after some good work from the Queen’s pack of forwards. De Wet converted to take the score to 28-17. A penalty to Cambridge a few minutes later took the score to 28-20. Cambridge attacked well, but poor rounding off saw opportunities missed. Queen’s College inside center, Leroy Kuyler,  scored for Queen’s down the blind side and Dale de Wet added the conversion to take the score to 35-20.

Kuyler was on hand three minutes later when he spotted the space behind the defenders and put in a clever little chip kick for winger Dancan Mureguzi to gather and score. The conversion was missed and this took the score to 40-20.

Cambridge had the last say when Mato scored his second try of the match. The conversion was missed and this took the final score to 40-25 in favour of Queen’s College.

Related items